@adamo1979 and I set off early this morning in the hopes of beating the crowds and bagging a fast time on Mt Temple. We figured it would be possible to make a round trip from car to summit and back in around 3 hours, but the perfect temperatures, quiet trails and minimalist approach allowed us to bag the summit in 1h 47 and we were back at the trailhead in 2h 42m. This is a pic of me suffering up the upper slopes! Thanks @adamo1979 for setting an incredible pace! #quadsaretoast #salomonrunning #suuntorun #timetoplay #timeforbeer
1. Favorite Trail: Too many to mention, but The Rockwall Traverse in the Kootenay’s is pretty high on my list of Canadian trail runs. R2R2R is my favorite go-to trail the US.
2. Favorite Race: Favorite 50 miler – HURL Elkhorn in Helena, Montana; favorite 100 miler – gotta be Cascade Crest.
3. Favorite Running Fuel: I like my calories in liquid form, and Vitargo does it for me! If I need solid fuel – my wife puts together a mean salty, sweet concoction of bacon and syrup sandwiches with lots of butter!
4. Favorite Beer: Innis & Gunn
5. Favorite Post-run/race Food: Anything with bacon
6. Favorite Shoes: Salomon S-Lab Sense Ultra SG
7. Bucket List Race: Hardrock 100
8. Fastest Beer Mile Time: Never done one. I’m a lightweight as far as beer goes!
9. How many miles per week do you run: 50-70
10. Trail Music: My music choices are pretty varied. Wax Tailor features highly in my current playlists, but to be honest, if I’m listening to anything it’s usually an audiobook – Stephen King can definitely help you pick up the pace when it starts to get dark!
11. You know you’re a Dirtbag when: Your dog smells better than you.
12. Favorite type of Dirtbag home: We have a 13 foot camping trailer. It’s known as the Marshmallow, and can sleep 4 of us plus two dogs in a push. A lot of adventures began in that thing!
13. Famous runner crush: Hal Koerner is pretty sexy…
14. If forced to use one: Treadmill or ElliptiGO? Treadmill, though I’d need a gun to my head to use either.
15. Piece of gear you can’t live without: My Delorme inReach Explorer – it’s a portable satellite communication device that keeps me in touch with my family when I’m out of cell range, and which I can use to send an SOS if I get into trouble. It gives me a lot of confidence when I’m out in the backcountry on my own.
16. Your go-to running outfit is: short shorts and a bandanna (though for most of the year up here it’s a down puffy!)
Anything else you’d like the DBR community to know about you?
My home town of Canmore is a pretty well kept secret in terms of trail running, but it rivals a lot of so-called trail running meccas I’ve visited around the world. We have a fantastic trail running community here. Every Thursday I lead a group workout – usually hill repeats or fartlek intervals, so it’s a fast paced leg burner. If you’re own town come join us for Dirtbag Thursday’s!