1. Favorite Trail: Impossible to pick just one! I’m happiest on trails in the front range or higher complete with amazing views and great elevation gain because I love to power hike.
2. Favorite Race: To date, the TransRockies Run through the glorious mountains of Colorado!!
3. Favorite Running Fuel: BACON and coconut oil!
4. Favorite Shoes: Altra Superiors
5. Bucket List Race: TransAlpine Run and UTMB
6. Fastest Beer Mile Time: I am a Beer mile virgin still….2017 just might be the year to change that!
7. How many miles per week do you run: Generally, 45-50
8. Trail Music: If running solo, yes. I love music probably about as much as I love running. Only one ear bud though and not too loudly so I can pay attention still. Really hard to pick a favorite in this category too! I have a wide variety from Lindsey Stirling to Elle King, Imagine Dragons to 2Cellos and more. If it has a good beat, it’s probably on my list or will be soon. One of my most recent adds “I’m Born to Run” – American Authors. Haha! I know, so original.
9. You know you’re a Dirtbag when: The great outdoors makes you feel footloose and fancy free without a care in the world even if it’s just a temporary escape from the daily grind. You live in the present moment and enjoy frolicking through nature independently or with some of your adventure friends, the ones who really understand you. It means appreciating your surroundings fully needing nothing more than what you can carry on your back. You thrive on exploring, growing, enduring, blood, sweat and tears. Challenging yourself personally and pushing through limits you’ve set yourself of have allowed others to set for you. You’re on the ultimate journey to self discovery and unleashing your potential. Ultimately, getting dirty and running free….of course!!!
10. When was your last shower: This morning. I am a sports and functional medicine chiropractor Monday thru Thursday and need to be fresh and ready to go for my patients.
11. What is your crosstraining activity of choice: Throwing a sandbag around – squats, deadlifts, step-ups, etc.
12. I felt most like a badass runner when: I crossed the finish line Day 6 of the 10th Anniversary TransRockies Run. 6 days, 120 miles, 20,000 feet gain in elevation. I’ve NEVER done anything like this before!
13. Piece of gear you can’t live without: My hydration pack. It’s my security blanket. I have it with me even on short runs – keeper of my keys, first-aid kit, fuels, water, etc. Also, I figure it’s good to always have it so my body is use to carrying the extra weight.
14. What is a quirky habit you have while running: Not sure that it’s quirky, but I stop A LOT for taking pictures!
15. Three words that describe your running: Always Smiling & Frolicking (people apparently call me Frolicking Kelly)
16. Your go-to running outfit is: DBR Trucker Hat, INKnBURN Tech/Bottoms, Injinji socks, Altra Superiors and my Garmin (I only really care about distance and elevation gain though).
Anything else you’d like the DBR community to know about you: I’m a bit nutty. Most of my training happens in a basement while my child is sleeping. Wake-up call is at 3 am. I have a treadmill but prefer to run “slow suicides” instead. 85 down and backs equals one mile, I’ve ran 14 miles this way. Like a caged-up hamster. Life of a single mom. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!