1. Favorite Trail: Insert “Off” before trail… Ruby Range Traverse in Crested Butte, Colorado! A 9 peak rugged ridge line full of scrambling and amazing views.
2. Favorite Race: So far, Transvulcania – The atmosphere over there is unbelievable. Especially the fans lining the finish for nearly a mile!
3. Favorite Running Fuel: VFuel Gels / Drink is my go to during training & events.
4. Favorite Beer: Its always Stout month here!
5. Favorite Post-run/race Food: Gnarly Nutrition‘s vegan meal replacement (Chocolate!). Then typically whatever is in sight. Courtney always asks: where’s the ______? My response: “I ate that”.
6. Fastest Beer Mile Time: This is embarrassing… I’ve never done one. (Please don’t kick me out of the group)
7. How many miles per week do you run: Typically between 80-110 but lately not much at all (groin strain, bummer).
8. Trail Music: When descending late in a run/race, always on shuffle, typically upbeat.
9. You know you’re a Dirtbag when: You spend a summer living out of your truck and can’t sleep when staying inside a friends house because you would rather be out in your truck.
10. Favorite type of Dirtbag home: My ’09 Tacoma!
11. When was your last shower: Again, embarrassing… Yesterday. (But to my defense its a chilly Idaho mud season and a shower helps keep you warm on the cold nights, even if it is in the cabin and not the Tacoma)
12. What is your crosstraining activity of choice: Winter: Skimo & Nordic Skiing, Spring: Shed Hunting, Summer: Mushroom Foraging & Cycling.
13. I felt most like a badass runner when: I crushed my 26th B-Day week for the hell of it: B-Day was a 26 mi skate ski, then a 26 mi bike ride, followed by a 26 mi trail run, then 2 days later the Bryce Canyon traverse (26 mi), then the Zion Traverse 2 days after that (54 miles). Sitting down after those 5 days and feeling so, so satisfied. No race, no goals, just did it to do it.
14. Piece of gear you can’t live without: My Zeal Optics sunglasses… I don’t always have them on my eyes but they are usually always on my head. And the watch… its a hate / love type of situation there.
15. What is a quirky habit you have while running: The higher the altitude the more I tend to jump and bounce around. Literally.
16. Three words that describe your running: According to my girlfriend Courtney: “Playful, Peter Pan”
17. Your go-to running outfit is: Definitely the manpris. Yes, good for any season!
18. If you never raced again but still got to enjoy the mountains on foot would you be OK with it: If the mountain adventures more times then not involved friends, beers, and Dirtbagging, then I think I would.
Anything else you’d like the DBR community to know about you:
We’re new to the Teton Valley so anyone who is making a trip out here this summer let me know! We’ve got a little homesteading lifestyle set up, garden, chickens, mushroom foraging, etc and a climbing wall in our place. We’re always up for an overnight in the mountains and depending on the week/day we’ve got driveway space for a fellow Dirtbag Runner who’s passing through. See you in the Tetons!
Oh, just one more thing. I’m a coach as well and would love to work with a few more fellow Dirtbag Runners. If there’s anyone out there looking for training/racing/adventuring advice, lets chat!