1. Favorite Trail: Ray Miller Trail, Malibu, CA and Wildwood Trail, Portland, OR
2. Favorite Race: BORN TO RUN. Ahem. Followed closely by Santa Barbara 9 Trails.
3. Favorite Running Fuel: Working on this. I like Picky Bars, I’m pretty sure they saved me at 9 Trails along with some witchcraft bull semen Ian Seabury put together for me (some recovery drink with protein in it.) I like Gu or Clif Gels along with pure spirulina like Energy Bits. Fluid. About to try Tailwind.
4. Favorite Beer: Do I have to pick just one? No? Ok good. Topa Topa Brewing’s Howler Coffee IPA, Ballast Point Mango Even Keel Session IPA for a hot day, Bell’s Two Hearted Ale (Thanks for the reminder Michael Burke), Lagunitas High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout. I think I’m done for now. Wait! I have to acknowledge Caldera IPA (Hi little yellow cans of love!)
5. Favorite Post-run/race Food: Rice/quinoa/avocado/sweet potato/black beans in a bowl with some Goddess dressing. I crave it. Or pizza.
6. Favorite Shoes: Alternate between Merrell Pace Gloves, Vibram Five Fingers Spyridon, Luna Leadville Trails although I want to try the new Osos.
7. Bucket List Race: Not really a race, but I want to do a Grand Canyon R2R2R crossing. I’ve never even been to the Grand Canyon!
8. Fastest Beer Mile Time: 8:13ish. Wait, no! That’s my husband’s. I’m usually wrangling the toddler for that race. (You’re not supposed to notice that I didn’t put a time for myself. Don’t read this question. Don’t attack me at BTR. I’m not drinking right now because I’m recovering from knee injury. More excuses to come.)
9. How many miles per week do you run: Varies hugely. I’m recovering from a knee injury at the moment, so I got a grand total of 2.2 last week. Just try to compete with me on Strava!! Maybe30-40-50 when I’m training for something.
10. Trail Music: No. I listen to the sounds of the earth and Mike’s peanut butter songs. I DO however, rock out to music on the way to the trail: Big Wild (thanks Crista) Pretty Lights (thanks college self) and bluegrass (thanks Tennessee upbringing) and others.
11. You know you’re a Dirtbag when: You feel most attractive and alive after a long trail run and you’re perfectly content to hang out or camp in your own smelly glory. I’m not sure why people don’t like me when I go grocery shopping after a long run?
12. Favorite type of Dirtbag home: our VW Eurovan. Just needs a toilet, and we could live in it. 🙂
13. Famous runner crush: I suppose I crush on Kilian Jornet’s downhills. I pretend I’m him pretty much every time I run downhill. I pretty much AM him.
14. When was your last shower: Yesterday. I’m a physical therapist by day, so I’m at least an every other day-er during the week.
15. What is your cross training activity of choice: Pilates/yoga, deadlifting my toddler.
16. I felt most like a badass runner when: I couldn’t run one step on January 20th of this year. I went to physical therapy. Told them I wanted to run Santa Barbara 9 Trails on March 25th. Did it. I cried like a baby I was so proud… (when I got home of course.)
17. Piece of gear you can’t live without: DBR trucker hat. Ultimate Direction Jenny Adventure Vesta pack.
18. Your go-to running outfit is: DBR hat, Lululemon shorts (I ask for a new pair for my birthday every year and I still have a couple of pairs from 2011) and a long sleeve, UPF shirt. Skin cancer=no bueno.
Anything else you’d like the DBR community to know about you: I LOVE being a part of this community. But! I’m a little shy, so come talk to me if I don’t come to you. I love meeting people 🙂 Also, some of you know that my best friend, roomie and running partner passed away last year in a base jumping accident. Some of you have also told me that you want to know more, but don’t want to bring it up at the risk of making me sad. Katie was an epic personality, hilarious, and her badassery is meant to live on. Please don’t hesitate to ask me about her if you want to know about her. Talking about her is guaranteed to make me laugh and also guaranteed to lead to excellent conversation about running, base jumping, skydiving, nursing, and maybe farting on walls.